US to cut 5,000 troops from Europe; NATO says defense posture remains strong

defense & military

The United States is reducing the capabilities it makes available to NATO as part of the Trump administration's pivot toward priorities outside of Europe. President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany following a spat with the German chancellor. Furthermore, the deployment of thousands more troops to Poland was abruptly halted last week.

NATO’s top military commander, Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich, confirmed the troop withdrawal and stated the move would be well-synchronized with European allies. While Grynkewich does not expect any more immediate drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops, he noted that allies should expect a redeployment of US forces over time as European nations build up their own military capabilities.

President Trump has signaled that he expects European countries to assume primary responsibility for the continent's security. According to sources, the Pentagon plans to formally announce its intention to lessen its commitment during a meeting on May 22.

US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime

euronews.com

U.S. cuts Europe troops; NATO says defense posture remains strong

upi.com

Pentagon says U.S. will cut thousands of troops from Europe

washingtonpost.com

U.S. plans to shrink forces available to NATO during crises, sources say

japantimes.co.jp

US plans to shrink forces available to NATO during a crisis, sources say

straitstimes.com

US plans to shrink forces available to NATO during a crisis, sources say

straitstimes.com

NATO's top officer doesn't expect more U.S. drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced

pbs.org

US troop withdrawal from Europe to take 'years' — general

dw.com

US troop withdrawals from Europe don't harm NATO defences: top commander

channelnewsasia.com

NATO's top officer doesn't expect more American drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced

independent.co.uk

US troop withdrawals from Europe don’t harm NATO defences, says top commander

straitstimes.com

Top NATO Official Says 5,000 US Troops to Leave Europe

bloomberg.com