Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30

natural disasters

A landslide at Dar Es Salam, the largest landfill in Conakry, Guinea, killed at least 30 people on Sunday. Heavy seasonal rains prompted the collapse of a massive mound of waste, which engulfed nearby homes, tents, and shacks before dawn.

The disaster occurred early Sunday morning after heavy rains began around 3 a.m. The resulting landslide buried several nearby shacks. According to Lt. Col. Baldé Mamadou Bailo, the sanitation officer for the Military Engineering Battalion, the site had been designated for closure on Sunday.

The tragedy has left families devastated. One local woman who lost five children in the disaster told reporters that she had lost all her children and all she can do is put her trust in God.

30 dead after Guinea landfill collapse from torrential rain landslide

independent.co.uk

Landslide at Guinea landfill kills 30, government says

straitstimes.com

Guinea: Garbage collapse at landfill kills dozens

dw.com

Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people

aljazeera.com

At least 22 people killed in a landslide in capital of Guinea, officials say

apnews.com